Saturday, March 21, 2009

A hard post to write....

I know I have been way behind on posting, this post will tell all. Where do I begin? It is Sat. night Aunt Becky and our friend Ryan are here. Becky, Henry and I had a good day shopping and the boys (Richard and Ryan) had a good day of surfing. Becky and I were in the kitchen cooking food for dinner while Henry was outside with Richard while he was starting the grill and the fire in the little fire pot we have. All of the sudden I heard Henry screaming and Richard came running in the house with him. He took him in his room and then called to me "I think he knocked his teeth out." I couldn't help it I freaked out a little. That has always been one of my biggest fears with him falling that he was going to knock out his teeth! When I finally got a look at him you could tell that he had knocked his teeth pretty hard. One of his top front teeth was chipped and the other one was pushed way up into his gums. There was blood but not too much it did not bleed very long but it looked awful. So I called the pediatrician and they said I could bring him in and they would look at it. Thank god for 24 hour pediatricians since it is 6:30pm on a Sat. We got to the peds office and the doctor came in and jammed a tongue depressor in Henry's mouth and said "Ya he is probably going to loose that tooth." Richard was worried that he had broke something and wanted an x-ray so the doctor said we would have to go to the ER. I was pretty sure he did not break anything but Richard was adamant about an x-ray, so off to the ER we went. The ER doctor did not say much more and did not think he needed an x-ray but said he needed to see a pediatric dentist on Mon. She also said to give him Motrin and wrote a prescription for Tylenol with codeine (which we never ended up needing to give to him). So home we went with a beat up little boy. Props to the ER we were in and out in less than 2 hours! It did not seem to slow Henry down at all when we got home I knew he had to be starving, it was now 9pm and he had not eaten anything since lunch. I was not sure how he was going to do eating or drinking for that matter! Becky made him a peanut butter and jelly and cut it up in little pieces and I gave him a sippy cup with a soft spout without the valve in it and he at and drank like nothing was wrong! I guess for Henry this is just another bump in the road of growing up. For me it has been quite traumatic seeing how teeth gross me out and the fact that there really is nothing you can do about it. As I am writing this post a month later I am doing much better with all and just thankful that it is only his teeth and he will get new ones in let's say 6 to 7 years!

1 comments:

jscotter2007 said...

That has to be one of my biggest fears too! I am so scard when Christopher is chewing on something hard. Pour little Henry has had a lot of bumps, bruises, and trips to the doctor this year. Knock on wood that he continues to be this lucky with the outcomes.